What Is It?
The ARDL is a revolutionary concept that makes virtual, 3D objects appear in the real world, attached to real objects. Users look through a Virtual Reality POV Viewing Device or at a monitor to see virtual objects like planets, volcanoes, the human heart or dinosaurs. These can be attached to cards, the pages of a book, interactive white board or even on the floor or wall to provide a 3D animated replica that fills the room. Virtual objects excel at conveying spatial, temporal and contextual concepts – especially where the real objects (or real replicas) are too expensive, dangerous or fragile. They can also be highly interactive, letting users erupt a volcano, build a human heart or pull planets out of the solar system for closer inspection.
How Is It Applied?
With AR, the user feels like they are working with real, everyday objects. AR also enhances the ability to collaborate, as users can see both virtual objects and their colleagues at the same time, which aids in visual communication. In addition, placing a virtual object in the context of the real word can make it more meaningful and increase the educational benefit of the experience. The ARDL rolls this into an affordable package that can be used at home or in schools on any PC computer. Both new content created by Digital Tech Frontier and by teachers will be released on a regular basis. Currently, new content can be created free of charge with Google SketchUp and the ARDL Module Creation Tool.
What Are The Key Benefits?
- Augmented Reality excels at conveying spatial and temporal concepts
- Multiple Objects can be placed in relative context to one another or relative to objects in the real world
- Maximize impact, create contextual awareness, enhance engagement and facilitate interaction
- The ARDL heightens understanding with Kinesthetic learners
- AR provides a high degree of engaging, self paced interaction, maximizing impact and maintaining interest
- Improved communication, learning retention, and interaction with others
- The ARDL includes both professionally built content and an AR content building environment tool suite